Mister Rogers’ Really Big Cardigan

March 20th, 2013

sweaterMister Rogers touched millions of lives. Pittsburgh native, Alicia Kachmar — the woman behind the awesome, thoughtful “yarn bomb” of Mister Rogers’ North Shore statue — is one.

The artist (an freelance writer, Etsy shop owner, Today Show craft maker, craft book author, and college tour copywriter who confesses that she drinks a lot of coffee and doesn’t sleep a lot) counts her primary influences as “people who combine education and good will with fun and creativity: Mister Rogers, Jim Henson, Dr. Seuss.” When approached by an arts organization in 2011 to wrap the statue in a sweater reminiscent of the iconic ones worn on “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” (all knit by his mother), Alicia jumped at the chance. “I was pretty much born to do it,” she says.

When the opportunity to pepper her with questions was availed, I jumped at mine. Here’s our exchange.

BW: What are you first memories of Mister Rogers?

AK: I was born in 1981 and grew up in Pittsburgh, watched the show a lot as a kid, and was aware that he was *in* Pittsburgh as well. I was so captivated by everything that happened in the show, from the interactions with the Make-Believe characters to the adventures, like visiting a toothpaste factory or a crayon factory. (Maybe he is why I got so interested in factory tours ever since I was a young adult? Every object I see, I think, *this* was made somewhere–but where? How? Can I go there and see it being made???) When I was watching the show, I felt like I was there, that he was talking specifically to me, that we were friends.

BW: What was your sense of him in the community?

AK: Everyone I knew in Pittsburgh loved him and loved the show. I think he was a genuine source of pride in the city, that he was creating this long-running popular show right here! And he still is a source of pride for Pittsburghers; there is still a fair amount of programming at places like the Children’s Museum that is Mister Rogers-themed. And an exhibit at the airport! There is the sense that he is part of each Pittsburgh family, and I imagine he touched people in that same way beyond the city lines.

BW: Did you ever meet him?

AK: I did meet him! I met him once at the Children’s Museum. I was very young so I don’t remember what the actual event or program was, but somewhere I have an autographed photo of him. At the risk of sounding saccharine, I recall feeling such warmth emanating from him. Warmth. Sincerity. Love. Joy. Whatever you want to call it.

BW: What inspired you to crochet a cardigan for his statue?

AK: I can’t take credit for the giant cardigan idea. Outpost Journal, a brand-new publication, approached me with the idea after they heard my name tossed around when inquiring about yarn-related people in Pittsburgh. The magazine is a “non-profit print publication on innovative art, design and community action from cities that have been traditionally underexposed beyond their local contexts.” So, each issue focuses on just one city, and they chose Pittsburgh as their debut issue/city, and then they want to have some creative “engagement with tourist attractions.” It sounded like a crazy idea, to make a GIANT cardigan for a Mister Rogers sweater–how does one say no to that?! I’m always up for crazy crochet challenges.

BW: How long did it take? How much yarn?

AK: Long! I worked during the day and then babysat until 11pm every night, so I would work on it after my “charge” went to bed. I don’t even want to know how many hours it took! It took many many, skeins of yarn, and I actually crocheted with 3 strands of yarn together and a giant crochet hook. I have actually, still, never crocheted a human-sized sweater, so the mechanics of such a garment were not exactly in my crochet expertise. (I make very small toy-like things!). I consulted my fashion designer sister once we knew the various statue measurements. Because of the way the statue was made, with his arms against his legs, I couldn’t just “crochet a sweater”; it had to be done in panels and then sewn onto him. The part of the sweater that I am most proud of is the zipper–it’s a real zipper! I ordered it online, and it was made to be used in a sleeping bag. My mom sewed it into the sweater, so it actually functioned as a zipper!

BW: What is his legacy for you? For Pittsburgh?

AK: In my opinion, both Mister Rogers and Jim Henson are two of the greatest people to have ever lived. Mister Rogers combined creativity, curiosity, and a love of humanity in such a genuine and unique way. At the core, he just wanted to be a good person and help others. I have worked with children for a number of years–in schools, museums, botanical garden, daycares, after school programs, camps — and I have a whimsical crochet business and a writing career, so Mister Rogers has definitely been influential in my life. I love when he said, “The child is in me still and sometimes not so still.” Every day feels so full of possibility for me — who will I meet and what will I learn today?

37 thoughts on “Mister Rogers’ Really Big Cardigan”

1. Angelo Krail says:

likes is incredibly simple, don’t avoid above steps and save your Facebook Web page Likes. Also check out Here you can check how to divert your Facebook Webpage traffic to you Site Connect with TricksWindow on

2. I will immediately take hold of your rss as I can’t in finding your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please allow me realize so that I may subscribe. Thanks.

3. baggy eyes says:

I have read several excellent stuff here. Certainly price book-marking for revisiting. I surprise the amount of attempt you placed to create the type of magnificent informative website.

4. beast 123 says:

As I website possessor I think the content material here is rattling wonderful, thankyou for your efforts.

5. Read More says:

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

6. I’d rather have Lin Dans WC-final T-shirt!!!

7. The wild application of mind areas in this chapter are all located along or near the green river, with the exception of winter ridge WSA. The Uintah and Ouray Indian Concealment separates winter ridge WSA from the green river passage. If you look at a Utah highway map, you’ll heed that this complete circle appears roadless. I-70 runs along the meridional cutting side, with US 191 to the west and arctic. In places, Destruction Gorge (cut by the green river) is 3,000 to 5,000 feet down-reaching. This craggy canyon and its tributaries are not the only farthest terrain that bound way via paved highways. The 250-mile-long book Cliffs sunder the civilized cosmos from this expansion of wild application of mind areas. Often, confine lines between wild application of mind areas are {uneven|craggy|cragged|scraggy|scabrous|rough} filth roads suitable for jeeps and other 4WD vehicles with high-reaching release. This drag along guide includes descriptions of Rtrail Gorge to Joe Springs.

8. This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace.

9. Throughout the great design of things you receive an A for effort. Where exactly you confused me personally was first on your facts. You know, it is said, details make or break the argument.. And that could not be much more accurate in this article. Having said that, permit me inform you what exactly did deliver the results. The writing is actually rather convincing which is possibly why I am taking an effort to comment. I do not really make it a regular habit of doing that. Second, despite the fact that I can certainly notice a jumps in reasoning you make, I am definitely not convinced of how you appear to connect the details which inturn make your final result. For now I shall subscribe to your issue however wish in the foreseeable future you connect your facts better.

10. Read More says:

I reflect you completed a couple of sensibly fascinating points. Not exceedingly countless persons would especially obtain into consideration this the way you simply did. I’m correctly impressed that there’s a lot in relation to this subject that has been revealed and you did it so appropriately, with so by far class. Top-notch one, show gratitude you.

11. BNS Gold says:

You can certainly see your skills in the paintings you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. All the time go after your heart. “A second wife is hateful to the children of the first a viper is not more hateful.” by Euripides.

12. Allen Urfer says:

It’s very colorful and lovely OLED screen is slightly smaller than the touch screen, but the player itself feels quite a bit smaller and lighter. It weighs about 2/3 as much, and is noticeably smaller in width and height, while being just a hair thicker.

13. Jalisa Shape says:

14. As I site possessor I believe the content matter here is rattling excellent , appreciate it for your hard work. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.

15. Excellent read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch as I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

16. I am always browsing online for tips that can help me. Thanks!

17. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

18. kajaki says:

Really Appreciate this article, can you make it so I get an update sent in an email every time you write a fresh update?

19. I needed to post you this very little remark to help say thank you as before on your exceptional methods you have contributed on this page. It’s really tremendously open-handed of you to give without restraint what exactly many of us might have sold for an e-book to generate some bucks for their own end, most notably seeing that you might have done it in the event you desired. The things also acted as the great way to be aware that other people have the same zeal like my very own to realize more when considering this matter. Certainly there are thousands of more pleasant moments ahead for individuals that start reading your website.

20. Gerard Siple says:

Zune and iPod: Most people compare the Zune to the Touch, but after seeing how slim and surprisingly small and light it is, I consider it to be a rather unique hybrid that combines qualities of both the Touch and the Nano.

21. sponsors says:

Thankyou for all your efforts that you have put in this. very interesting information.

22. This web site is my intake , really good style and design and perfect written content .

23. sponsors says:

Rattling nice style and superb content material , practically nothing else we want : D.

24. Best Electronic Cigarette…

25. It’s ok to research the Internet for article ideas, but it’s not okay to copy word-for-word of any article. Paraphrasing can also be classified as plagiarism. Be original.

26. Miss Ho is the selection canada goose montebell owomen nyc of clothes, told reporters she heard a friend say this opening, this weekend, want to canada goose hybridge jacket come back, but was worried the first day of good models have been picked to go, so specially invited a half-day leave over. She said that was the first time to the garment factory selection of clothing, did canada goose down kids coats not expect so many people, pick a long time, bought three pants, four coats, a total of just over 1100 yuan, super bargain.

27. good day, I enjoyed yall’s post. avid christian reader outy 5k

28. excellent issues altogether, you just received a new reader. What might you suggest in regards to your post that you just made some days in the past? Any sure?

29. tires says:

I as well think therefore, perfectly composed post!

30. You have brought up a very fantastic points , appreciate it for the post.

31. Well I definitely enjoyed studying it. This information procured by you is very practical for proper planning.

32. This paragraph is in fact a fastidious one it helps new internet users, who are wishing for blogging.|

33. Very interesting info !Perfect just what I was searching for!

34. Welcome to Studio Plazma, Visit us on:

35. Pourquoi ne pas relater les significations déclarées la semaine dernieres selon la chambre national? Au minimum on aurait la possibilité de chicaner selon les vrais taux;

36. Very nice article. I absolutely appreciate this website. Continue the good work!