"Mister Rogers & Me" To World Premiere At Nantucket Film Festival

April 13th, 2010

It’s official.

Our documentary, “Mister Rogers & Me,” will world premiere at the Nantucket Film Festival June 17-20.

Of course, the film was born on Nantucket in September, 2001, when — during a encounter with my actual summer neighbor (my mother rented a tiny cottage on on the island’s West End just next door to Mister Rogers “Crooked House”) — America’s Favorite Neighbor asked me about my job at MTV.

“I feel so strongly,” he said, “That deep and simple is far more essential than shallow and complex.”

The following summer, I told Mister Rogers how frequently I’d considered what he said.

“Spread the message, Benjamin. Spread the message.”

Eight years later, with stops in Durham, NC; Fredericksburg, VA; Washington, DC; Boston, MA; Pittsburgh and Latrobe, PA (plus hours upon hours in our New York City edit, one marriage, two births and a third expected within days of the films’ premiere), my brother and my documentary is returning to Nantucket.

The film features interviews with Mister Rogers’ friends, neighbors and collaborators: Tim Russert (“Meet The Press”), Susan Stamberg (NPR), and Linda Ellerbee (Nick News), Marc Brown (“Arthur”), Davy Rothbart (Found Magazine), Dr. Susan Linn (Campaign for a Commerical Free Childhood), Amy Hollingsworth (“The Simple Faith of Mister Rogers”), Tim Madigan (“I’m Proud of You”), Bo Lozoff (“Deep & Simple”) and Beverly Hall (“My Nantucket”).

The call came Friday afternoon. I was at work.

“Tell me where you are with your film,” Artistic Director Mystelle BrabĂ©e asked.

My pulse raced. My heart throbbed in my ears. I turned towards the window, put my feet up on the radiator, and endeavored to remain calm.

“Well, last night we moved an entire segment from the last third to the first,” I stammered. “Yunno, to increase stakes. But that’s about the last, big change we can make; we don’t have the time or money to do anything drastic, just voice over, music, trimming… stuff like that.”

“Are you interested in a few notes?” she asked.

“Absolutely,” I said, “Four people have seen this thing. I’m more than happy to hear your thoughts.”

We talked a few minutes more. The entire time I wondered, ‘Are we in!?!’

Finally, Mystelle said, “Let’s move forward with this.”

Inhale. Hold…

“Daniela will send you a confirmation letter…”

Exhale.

I called Christofer a few seconds later.

“We’re in!” I said before thanking him for following me all over the Northeast and working into the wee hours night after night after night.

And then I called Abbi. My wife is due on June 9, just eight days prior to the start of the festival.

“I find it hard to believe this is just a coincidence,” I told her. “A film festival on Father’s Day Weekend with a film by a brand-new father about the grandfather he wished he’d had…”

Walking home, my excitement began to turn to anxiety. What about that last piece of footage? What about the music? What about the web site? The premiere party? Will the baby be born in time? Where will we stay? How will we get there? Who will come? Will we finish it in time? What about the end? Will anyone like it?

I looked up beyond the buildings to the stars, and heard Mister Rogers clear as a bell.

“You’re doing fine, Benjamin. You’re doing fine.”

1. Elizabeth Harper says:

Big congrats on this Benjamin … I got all teary reading your post. I am beyond thrilled for you and your brother and for the opportunity you've created to have the message of Mister Rogers reach a larger audience.

I'm sure you know this, but first babies are usually late which could make the film premiere even more exciting for you if your first born decides to make his or her debut at the same time as Mister Rogers & Me.

April 13, 2010 at 12:09 pm
  2. Linda says:

Such exciting news! Nantucket FF is perfect for your film's debut! And you're in my backyard. Depending on the day it screens, I just might be there. Congratulations!

April 13, 2010 at 12:19 pm
  3. atleast says:

Oh Benjamin. I'm so pleased. I got teary reading your post as well. What better venue for the premiere than the Nantucket Film Festival? You know he's proud of you both, right?

April 13, 2010 at 12:31 pm
  4. Paige Bresky says:

Benjamin, this is fantastic news! I am a big Mister Rogers fan and truly believe his message in your film will reverberate for decades to come. Also, I work in NYC nightlife. Please let me know if you need any assistance planning your party, as I host at many clubs/lounges.

Good luck!

Paige Bresky

April 13, 2010 at 12:56 pm
  5. InsideYMStudio says:

Congratulations, Benjamin! Those of us who have watched from afar and have been cheering you and Christofer all along and are so proud of you for following your dreams!

April 14, 2010 at 11:45 am
  6. Philip says:

How exciting this is. Our family spent summers in Nantucket from the 1930's through the 1980's (until the change) and became good friends of the Rogers. I believe his influence is more prevalent today than we may realize. And works like yours keep his life messages out there to be learned and re-learned. I hope to have an oportunity to see your film. Is it available for purchase?

April 14, 2010 at 4:38 pm
  7. Benjamin says:

Thank you all so much for you ongoing support and encouragement. I may have buried the lead, of course: my wife is due just eight days prior to the festival!

Phillip, so exciting to hear that he was YOUR neighbor too! I hope the film will receive some sort of national broadcast then be released on DVD thereafter. We're in the second step of a long, long run! :)

April 14, 2010 at 5:00 pm
  8. Jami Santore says:

What a lovely project and a great contribution to everyone in our generation who was affected by Mr. Rogers. True, heartfelt congratulations to you.

And when I read, "You're doing fine, Benjamin. You're doing fine," I clearly heard the kindness and acceptance always present in Mr. Roger's voice and the goosebumps on my arms were undeniable.

April 16, 2010 at 5:50 pm
  9. valid rank says:

check pagerank, check valid rank, valid rank, fake pagerank checker, mass pagerank checker . .

March 14, 2013 at 1:35 am
  10. blog says:

This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like ‘Mixview’ that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you’re listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of “neighbors” will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune “Social” is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

March 16, 2013 at 6:29 am
  11. dilek feneri says:

I blog frequently and I truly appreciate your information. This article has really peaked my interest. I will book mark your website and keep checking for new details about once per week. I opted in for your RSS feed as well.

March 16, 2013 at 1:58 pm
  12. http://www.swimsteps.co.uk/ says:

Sorry for the huge review, but I’m really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.

March 16, 2013 at 3:19 pm
  13. Hipolito M. Wiseman says:

Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

March 28, 2013 at 2:33 pm
  14. cigarette electronique says:

A revoir je pense niveau de certains mots!!!|

April 2, 2013 at 2:51 pm