Chicago Reader Reporter Shares His “Mister Rogers & Me” Story

February 14th, 2012

Last week, Chicago Reader reporter Mike Sula wrote a great blurb prior to our “Mister Rogers & Me” Gene Siskel Center premiere.

He described the film simply and succinctly as “A road trip in which the video maker asks media types, activists, and religious figures (Tim Russert, Linda Ellerbee, Davy Rothbart) how Rogers’s message of simplicity, self love, and neighborliness inspired their own work and worldview.”

“As someone who grew up watching Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood and then met Fred Rogers in adulthood,” he wrote, “I can tell you it was a surreal, blissful, enduring experience.”

I Tweeted Mike, and then emailed him, encouraging him to share his story. On Sunday afternoon he did so in his article, “Mister Rogers Never Dies, He Just Multiplies.”

Mike was walking to a friends radio show across Schenley Park Bridge in Pittsburgh after a creative writing conference featuring Tobias Wolff (my Senior Creative Writing Seminar professor at Syracuse University!) when he noticed Mister Rogers just a few paces behind him. The conference, Mister Rogers said, was wonderful.

“So many writers, but each one has something different and special to say.”

Mike spent the balance of his radio show talking about Mister Rogers, not the conference. A few days later, a package arrived with a note.

How good it was to meet you on the bridge! It didn’t dawn on me that it would mean so much to you, but when I listened to your report I was touched that you cared as you did. As the autumn begins I thought you might like the enclosed to keep you warm—as you have warmed my heart by your enthusiastic kind words.

“He listened and it warmed his heart,” Mike writes. “And that keeps on giving.”

It does, Mike. Bravo! And thank you.

What’s your “Mister Rogers & Me” story? Tell us below in the comments, or email me Benjamin At MTVi Dot Com!

1. James A. Kramer says:

Dear Benjamin:

My “Mister Rogers and Me” story sort of begins when a close friend who has rented a room from us, and lived with us for over 25 years had video tape of all of the episodes of “The Simpsons”, the longest running show on Fox. So I decided to choose to make video tapes of “Mister Rogers Neighborhood” – the longest running show on PBS. I did not realize how much my life would be changed for the better in my attitude toward my work and how I do it, and in changes to my worldview. I have a college degree from one of our church’s colleges, Calvin College,
    in Grand Rapids, MI. I did a major in theology, and a minor in philosophy, and have been a missionary in
    my career, and have worked for the Feeding America Food Bank Network, and still do food donation work as a volunteer. Fred Rogers religious worldview and his personal religious life and thought behind what he was doing in his work with children and families on television has just captivated my life and thinking. I now wear “the cardigan and the tie”, and try to look at my world like Fred Rogers did.

February 16, 2012 at 5:33 am
  2. John Weber says:

I will never ever forget meeting Fred Rogers. I was producing talk radio in Philadelphia and we had scheduled him to come in-studio to promote a book he had written. During a newsbreak, I had asked him to autograph a picture for my two kids. He asked their names and personalized the pics – but he added to the pics “through the courtesy of your father,” telling me that it’s very important that that remember where these pictures came from, from YOU, their father. I have never forgotten that, and he was right., My kids (grown-up now) look at those pics and that is the most memorable thing about them – “through the courtesy of your father”. I have never met someone so genuine in my life, and the world is a little bit less bright without him, even all these years later…

February 28, 2012 at 5:11 pm
  3. heap Wifi Range Extender says:

I think this is one of the most significant info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things, The site style is great, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

February 26, 2013 at 1:45 am
  4. Lamont Papetti says:

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read even more things about it!

March 5, 2013 at 9:34 am
  5. Cristopher Swygert says:

My heart broke when they zoomed in on Nando’s face at the beginning of your match. He looked so sad. I honestly believed he’d come in after the 70th minute or so. I’d really like for him to see some action in Munich.

March 14, 2013 at 7:34 pm
  6. Best franchises says:

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You’ve done a formidable job and our whole community will be grateful to you.

March 21, 2013 at 5:30 am
  7. murano glass pendant says:

I think other web-site enthusiasts should probably start thinking about this important online site as an example. Very clean and user friendly design, along with good content! You are experienced operating in this amazing issue :)

March 21, 2013 at 9:13 am
  8. tanie hotele w paryżu says:

Is it alright to place part of this in my website if I post a reference point to this web-site?

March 21, 2013 at 10:44 pm
  9. Myrna Leones says:

Perfectly composed articles , regards for selective information .

March 23, 2013 at 3:31 pm
  10. oferty erotyczne says:

Unquestionably have faith in that which you alleged. Your preferred reason seemed to ensue on the internet the simplest thing to acquire make a note of of. I utter to you, I undoubtedly get annoyed on the consistent time as supplementary community care about issues that they immediately don’t recognise in relation to. You forbidden to attain the nail ahead the highest and too clear absent the entire fixation without having side produce , people may possibly acquire a suggest. Strength of character perhaps ensue move backward to get added. Be grateful you|

March 24, 2013 at 1:53 am
  11. Grady Kubert says:

I can not participate now in discussion – there is no free time. I will return – I will necessarily express the opinion on this question.

March 24, 2013 at 2:50 pm
  12. andrew murrah pelton says:

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass’ favor.

March 25, 2013 at 11:27 am
  13. SHERLEY says:

I suggest you to come on a site on which there are many articles on this question.

March 26, 2013 at 1:12 am
  14. Carolyne Sunde says:

Oooh, I really like both of those. Which would you be more comfortable in? I know that you really like wearing tights and those types of tops, but the maxi would be really summery!

March 26, 2013 at 5:16 am
  15. beast123 says:

I am glad to be a visitant of this thoroughgoing site ! , regards for this rare information! .

March 27, 2013 at 1:11 pm
  16. Elisa Vidinha says:

Nando shirtless is often a eyecatcher!

March 27, 2013 at 9:19 pm
  17. inventory tracking software says:

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

March 28, 2013 at 3:51 pm
  18. Fidel Remondini says:

Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is awesome, nice written and come with almost all significant infos. I would like to peer more posts like this.

March 29, 2013 at 1:16 am
  19. kino cinema says:

Hiya, I am truly cheerful I have found this information. Now bloggers distribute only concerning gossip and obtain gear and this is really annoying. A good blog with interesting content, this is what I ought. Be grateful you for making this website, and I’ll ensue visiting again. Perform you achieve newsletters? I Can’t find it.

March 29, 2013 at 3:45 am
  20. Faviola Elderkin says:

Great post. I will be dealing with many of these issues as well..|

April 1, 2013 at 3:48 pm
  21. Madison Manke says:

My brother recommended I might like this website. He was entirely right. This post truly made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

April 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm
  22. film noir says:

Heya i am for the first period now. I establish this board and I attain It correctly helpful & it helped me outdated a lot. I possibility to create impressive back and evade others like you helped me.

April 3, 2013 at 12:30 am
  23. strony www stargard says:

Great amazing issues here. Iˇ¦m very happy to peer your article. Thank you so much and i’m taking a look forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

April 3, 2013 at 8:09 am