Remembering Mister Rogers, Ten Years Later

February 27th, 2013

Mister Rogers & MeIt was ten-years-ago this morning that NPR broke the news of Mister Rogers’ death. I was crestfallen, having only recently met the man himself.

I was a young, MTV producer at the time, and spent the bulk of my day writing a remembrance, then emailing to every publication I could imagine. Of course most, like The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, were dedicating entire sections to the icon.

In the intervening ten years, of course, Christofer and I made good on “Spreading the message” by producing and premiering our documentary, “Mister Rogers & Me.” Next month, in celebration of what would have been his 85th birthday, we’ll make another go of “spreading the message,” including some new press and screenings.

We have learned inumerable lessons, benefited from all sorts of serendipity, and come to know Mrs. Rogers, Mr. McFeely, and a whole universe of “deep and simple” helpers. And, of course, I’ve embarked on the deepest and simplest mission of all: parenthood. What a journey. I am deeply, profoundly grateful. And ten years later, I remember again.

It was the weekend of my 30th birthday, and just a few hours after disembarking the Hyannis Ferry. My cell phone was still chattering with MTV business as I stood on the back porch. The last rays of light were spilling over the horizon. New York City was slipping away from me as I settled into the quiet island night.

Suddenly a familiar voice from the edge of the dune asked, “Is the birthday boy here?” I turned to see Mister Rogers — more slight, perhaps, than I remembered from television, but smiling more broadly than ever — reaching out to shake my hand.

I grew up with him, to be sure. His cardigan and sneakers, though, were mythic abstractions. Like Elvis, or John Lennon, Mister Rogers was an abstraction. Until that late summer evening. See, Mister Rogers was my neighbor in Madaket, Nantucket. He and his wife Joanne summered there in a beautiful clapboard home — The Crooked House, they called it — on Smith’s Point. Meeting him that night would change the course of things for me and small but meaningful ways.

The next day, I walked to The Crooked House for lemonade. I was giddy like a little kid as I trudged with my guitar slung over my shoulder through the sandy street towards his home. He answered the back door wearing glasses, a white golf shirt with a sailboat on it, a pair of slacks and slippers. He was smiling, his eyes like slivers of the brightest, most star-strewn sky you’ve ever seen. We sat in the living room, there in the back overlooking the sea. It was wood paneled, and strewn with photos and artwork: there was Lady Elaine, King Friday, and Trolley.

I sat, mouth agape, and talked a while about New York — he has an apartment one block from mine — my job, plans, and dreams. And then I sang for him. “Summer’s Gone.” I was awfully nervous. Playing for half a dozen people is always more difficult than a hundred. And one of them was a concert pianist, the other was Mister Rogers (an accomplished musician in his own right). I finished, they clapped, we drank lemonade, and smiled. Because Mister Rogers was our neighbor.

That could have been enough. The Rogers had certainly extended their hospitality. But Mister Rogers asked me if I’d like a tour of the house, which of course I did. And so there I was being led around The Crooked House, his magical, intimate little home. There are doorways one must duck through, narrow staircases, and surprise little rooms around each turn. While there was evidence of many summers spent there — fishing rods, foul weather gear, boots and hats — it was a sparse, almost ascetic house. In one small room, next to a twin cot where he snuck the occasional catnap, was a pair of blue Keds resting as if they had just fallen from his feet as he slipped off into Mister Rogers dreams.

Perhaps the most magical part of my tour occurred in his study, out back behind the garage. There was a desk, a computer, and a small piano, all with a view over the pale green grassy dunes to the silverblue sea. He asked me something no one ever asks. “Tell me about your father,” he said. “Your mother doesn’t speak about him.” And I tell him about them divorcing when I was ten, and how it was pretty ugly, and feel like crying right there on the spot.

That’s Mister Rogers. He asked the hard that questions nobody asks. But with more heart than most. Scratch that, with more heart than all. And then says something perfectly appropriate, and real, and substantive, and simple.

“That must have been very difficult for you, Benjamin.”

Then he rolled his chair over to the piano and began playing. First, he played the theme from his show: “It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood,” he sang with a little more swing than on television, smiling. And then he sang “Happy Birthday” to me. Years later, it still seems like a dream.

Outside, Mister Rogers and I stood on the back porch in the Indian summer sun staring out at the water. He asked me about my job at MTV. He said he was concerned about modern pop culture. “You know, Benjamin,” he said, “I feel so strongly that deep and simple is far more essential than shallow and complex.”

Deep and simple.

The phrase stuck with me. It’s what he stood for, who he was. “Mister Roger’s Neighborhood,” like Mister Roger’s himself, was pure, unadulterated goodness unfettered by extra language, bright colors, or complicated drama. He spoke straight, told the truth, and didn’t worry about being cool or contemporary. He just was. Deep and simple.

The World Trade Center fell just few days after I got back to New York. I was about to release a new CD,”Crash Site,” but — inspired in no small part by his ethos — I repaired to the studio to record a benefit CD instead. I sent him a copy prior to the September 25th release, and invited him to come to the show. He didn’t make it, but when I got home, there was a message on my answering machine from him saying that he’d tried to reach me at the Mercury Lounge, but I was already on stage.

Deep and simple.

When I returned to Nantucket the following September, I invited Mister Rogers over for birthday cake. Despite a torrential downpour, and two other commitments elsewhere on the island, he came. He was dressed in a navy blue Carhart jumpsuit, and seemed slower and a bit more frail, but he lit up the room nonetheless. All of us, aged 31 to 56, were transformed into smiling, fawning children. He sat next to me on the couch, and watched me open a few gifts: a bright yellow t-shirt with King Friday on the front that read “TGIF,” and a tiny book with a mirror on the front and a ribbon bookmark with Trolley on the end of it entitled, “You Are Special.” Inside he had written “Happy Birthday Benjamin! From your neighbor Fred Rogers.”

Sitting there with him in the firelight, the storm raging just outside the window, I told him how often I thought about our “deep and simple” conversation, and how often I told others the story. “Spread the message,” he said. “Spread the message.”

Weeks later I was still trying to figure out how to effectively spread the message. What do I know? What can I do? Who would listen?

Since then, I have endeavored to write deep and simple song lyrics. I could not — and would not — have written a song as earnest or as direct as “Stay” (“I love you / I need you / I want you / To stay”) before I met Mister Rogers. And last fall I began a series of paintings of perhaps the deepest and most simple icon there is: the heart. I had set one of the four panel paintings aside to send to him for Christmas, and then Valentine’s Day.

I’d hoped someday soon to shoot documentary on Mister Rogers. I’d envisioned him showing my brother and I around The Crooked House, playing us a song or two in the study, and talking a little bit about love and courage, faith and truth. Chris and I would edit together a documentary as our first feature film. It would be a Good Work, something we both could be proud of. For weeks I’d been carrying the idea around. It would basically tell the about how Mister Rogers changed my life. Like Michael Moore’s participatory documentary before it, I’d call it “Mister Rogers & Me.” I’d I scribbled “Write Mister Rogers” on my To Do List just two days before NPR delivered the news that Mister Rogers had died.

Eulogies are both hurried and artless. And this is surely both. But it is well intentioned, full of love, and full of gratitude. Gratitude that I had just a moment in the life of one of our time’s greatest men. Gratitude that forever more, I have a role model that stood for all that is good, honest, sincere, and kind. Now, all I have left to do before dying is my absolute best to live a deep and simple life, and spread the message far and wide.

Easy enough, right?

1. Magen Zocklein says:

Very interesting subject, appreciate it for posting.

April 2, 2013 at 7:44 am
  2. andrew peltz dra says:

I’ll gear this review to 2 types of people: current Zune owners who are considering an upgrade, and people trying to decide between a Zune and an iPod. (There are other players worth considering out there, like the Sony Walkman X, but I hope this gives you enough info to make an informed decision of the Zune vs players other than the iPod line as well.)

April 2, 2013 at 7:52 am
  3. burton haynes pc says:

Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass’ favor.

April 2, 2013 at 9:03 am
  4. success says:

I really like your writing style, fantastic info , appreciate it for putting up : D.

April 2, 2013 at 9:40 am
  5. hyundai dealerships near me says:

As soon as I detected this website I went on reddit to share some of the love with them.

April 2, 2013 at 10:39 am
  6. super katalogi says:

Amazing how good it is.

April 2, 2013 at 10:51 am
  7. recumbent exercise bike says:

Sure high resolution film quality contains much memory, that’s why it provides improved quality.

April 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm
  8. Zetta Sieberg says:

Very interesting subject , regards for putting up.

April 2, 2013 at 12:57 pm
  9. get six pack abs says:

Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So good to seek out someone with some unique ideas on this subject. realy thank you for beginning this up. this web site is something that’s wanted on the internet, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!

April 2, 2013 at 1:13 pm
  10. dobry katalog says:

To be honest that is one of the best blogs I’ve read.

April 2, 2013 at 1:37 pm
  11. Fast IRS Levy says:

Appreciate it for all your efforts that you have put in this. Very interesting information.

April 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm
  12. austin plumbing says:

You are my inhalation , I possess few web logs and occasionally run out from to post : (.

April 2, 2013 at 7:19 pm
  13. look at this site says:

My brother recommended I might like this web site. He was entirely right. This post actually made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

April 2, 2013 at 7:21 pm
  14. Andre Belue says:

I’ve recently started a website, the information you provide on this website has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work. “One of the greatest pains to human nature is the pain of a new idea.” by Walter Bagehot.

April 2, 2013 at 7:48 pm
  15. de oldtimerverzekering says:

To some extent, the majority of us have to recognize that suffering and pain would definitely be a this specific.

April 2, 2013 at 8:05 pm
  16. Tessie Deltora says:

I recently found what I hoped for before you know it

April 2, 2013 at 9:23 pm
  17. details says:

Very wonderful information can be found on blog .

April 2, 2013 at 11:59 pm
  18. młóto browarne says:

I appreciate, cause I found exactly what I was looking for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

April 3, 2013 at 12:41 am
  19. university vet says:

My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web page and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking into your web page again.

April 3, 2013 at 1:38 am
  20. clear says:

What’s up i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i read this piece of writing i thought i could also create comment due to this sensible article.

April 3, 2013 at 2:29 am
  21. Utah Carpet Cleaning says:

This design is spectacular! You most certainly know how to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Fantastic job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

April 3, 2013 at 3:37 am
  22. dresses for prom on sale says:

Obtain the immediately after samples of stuff for your own prom dress. Elastic sheets to obtain prom dresses are fantastic for those portable parts of the body however ballroom combined with dining room.

April 3, 2013 at 5:47 am
  23. mocne katalogi stron says:

It is very involving.

April 3, 2013 at 7:10 am
  24. http://www.kuwebowi.predis.org/ says:

Throughout this grand design of things you’ll receive a B+ just for effort and hard work. Exactly where you actually confused me personally was first in your facts. You know, people say, details make or break the argument.. And that could not be more accurate at this point. Having said that, permit me reveal to you just what exactly did deliver the results. Your writing can be very engaging which is possibly the reason why I am making the effort to opine. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Secondly, despite the fact that I can easily see the leaps in reason you make, I am not really sure of exactly how you seem to connect your ideas which inturn produce the actual final result. For the moment I will subscribe to your issue but trust in the future you actually link your facts better.

April 3, 2013 at 7:44 am
  25. useful content says:

Today, I went to the beach front with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

April 3, 2013 at 7:55 am
  26. Tyson F. Gautreaux says:

I am cheerful this it turned not on thus nicely and I chance it will resume within the future as it rightly is accordingly fascinating and momentous towards the community.

April 3, 2013 at 7:59 am
  27. Riverhead physician says:

Great site you have here but I was curious if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about here? I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get comments from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Bless you!

April 3, 2013 at 9:31 am